Remember my Baymax steamed pork buns? This time I made Hello Kitty steamed buns filled with chicken. The taste of the chicken filling is very similar to the chicken steamed buns sold outside, I omit the eggs in mine, simply because I was lazy to boil the eggs beforehand. If you want to add it in, simply boil the eggs, and cut into quarters and add to the buns when wrapping.
I should have made Hello Kitty's bow bigger. :(
There, here's one with a bigger bow. I think it looks better. It's the only one though. This was made on another day, I was making another design for my bento project and just made one Hello Kitty with the leftover dough, lol.
You can also use the pork fillings I shared previously too, click HERE for the link.
HELLO KITTY STEAMED CHICKEN BUNS
300g Morinaga pancake mix
1 1/2 tbsp salad oil
90 to 100ml water
1 tsp cocoa powder
pink gel colouring
yellow gel colouring
250g boneless chicken thigh, cut to strips
1 tbsp oyster sauce
1 tsp soy sauce
1 tbsp sesame oil
1 tbsp cooking wine
1 tbsp ginger juice
pinch of salt
1 tbsp cornflour
1 stalk spring onion, chopped
- Combine fillings ingredients together. Mix well using your hands. Best to leave to marinade overnight.
- To make the dough, sieve pancake mix.
- Add in salad oil.
- Add in water gradually, use your hands to keep mixing till the dough comes together.
- Scoop out 2 tbsp of dough and mix in some pink gel food colouring using a toothpick. Keep kneading till the colours are even. Scoop out 1 tbsp of dough and mix in some yellow gel food colouring using a toothpick. Keep kneading till the colours are even. Scoop out 1 tbsp of dough and mix in cocoa powder. Keep kneading till the colours are even.
- Dust work surface with some flour, use your hands to knead for around 5 minutes, till the dough becomes soft and smooth.
- Divide dough into 6 parts and roll each into a ball. Use a rolling pin to flatten each ball.
- Place filllings from step 1 in the middle of the dough, wrap it up and pleat the edges to seal.
- Turn it over and shape into an oval shape. Repeat for the other 5 balls. Use scissors to cut out the ears.
- Take yellow dough and mould out a small oval for the nose. Take out some brown dough and mould out two ovals for the eyes.
- Take out some brown dough and roll it out and cut into sections for the whiskers.
- Take some pink dough and mould into 2 triangular shapes. Using a knife, make indentations to define the bow.
- Place the two triangular shapes onto the bun and mould out a round shape for the centre.
- Place the buns on wax paper and steam them on low heat for around 15 minutes.