These were all the cookies that I could used for photo taking, lol. I actually baked much more in my first tray, but LT was fussing that day, I totally forgot about the cookies after attending to him. By the time I remembered, the cookies were burnt. -_- I''m so absent-minded these days, hiaz.
You can see my first tray of cookies in the recipe pictures below, that was the tray that got burnt. :(
You do not need a cutter to cut out these cookies and you can easily modify this method to create whatever cookies design you like.
TOTORO COOKIES RECIPE
237g plain flour/cake flour
3g cocoa powder
100g unsalted butter, softened at room temperature
100g fine castor sugar
pinch of salt
2 egg yolks
Wilton blue colouring gel
- Cream butter and sugar till it turns pale and fluffy, adding in the sugar in 3 additions.
- Add in egg yolk and mix well. Weigh and divide the mixture into 3 portions of 150g, 80g and 10g.
- Divide plain flour in portions of 150g, 80g and 7g.
- Sift in 150g of plain flour to 150g of the mixture in step 2, mix well till a dough is formed. Add in some Wilton blue colouring gel using a toothpick. This will be the blue coloured dough. Sift in 80g of plain flour to 80g of the mixture in step 2, mix well till a dough is formed. Sift in 7g of plain flour and 3g of cocoa powder to 10g of the mixture in step 2. Mix well till a dough is formed, this will be the chocolate coloured dough. Wrap the dough using cling wrap and refrigerate for half and hour.
- Sketch/trace out Totoro on baking paper and cut it out, this will be your template to cut out the cookies. Remove dough from fridge, roll out the blue dough between 2 pieces of parchment paper. Keep rolling till the dough becomes softer. Place cut out template on blue dough, use a knife to cut out the dough.
- Roll out the plain coloured dough and cut out oval for the tummy. If you do not have a cutter, you can use knife to cut out the dough.
- Using your hands, mould eyes and nose using the plain and chocolate coloured dough.
- Using your hands, mould out the inverted V on Totoro's tummy from blue coloured dough. Line tray with baking paper and bake at 170 degrees celcius for around 15 minutes.
- After the cookies have cooled down, you can add in the details using black food marker or chocolate pen.
Where to get same or similar items in today's post: