I decorated the bento with this cute little bunny, the idea for the bunny was from Mothering Corner. She has a tutorial on how to make them on her blog. :)
Bento for LT, in the box are baked pasta, drumlet, grapes and strawberries. I overbaked the pasta a little, coz LT was fussing this morning and I forgot about my pasta in the oven. -_-
Bento for IT, same food as above.
Bento for IT's recess, in the box are baked pasta and gyoza.
I think the overbaked pasta looks a little 'muddy', I should have made a pig instead. lol, oh well, will leave that for the next time. :P
Gyozas, spinach and chicken with lup cheong (chinese sausage) for me. Gyoza recipe below, a highly simplified version from Harumi's book. :) Haha, buy or borrow ( It's available at the library if you are from Singapore) her book if you want the original recipe, it's a great cookbook on Japanese cooking. :)
1/2 cup finely chopped cabbage
1 cup minced pork
1 tbsp sesame oil
2 tbsp dry sherry
1 1/2 tbsp finely chopped garlic
1 tbsp minced ginger
1/2 cup spring onion
salt and pepper to taste
- Combine all items except gyoza wrappers.
- Wrap the filling into the gyoza wrappers, I used a gyoza mould for this step.
- Dust each dumpling with a little cornstarch.
- Heat a small quantity of oil, then arrange them in rows.
- When the bottoms are nicely browned, add in enough water to cover a third of the dumplings, cover and cook under medium heat until water had evaporated.