This year is the year of the dragon under the Chinese calender, and next year is going to be the year of the snake. I made both animals for their bentos, but it's a boy wearing an animal hat instead. :P
Boys and animals are coloured with deco furi. There's broccoli, chicken balls yakitori, grapes and strawberries in the bentos.
I think my snake looks like a ghost. I will try to make another one or two more snake bentos. :P
Packed a quick bento for myself too. I received a request to share the chicken ball yakitori, so am typing out the recipe below. :)
CHICKEN BALL YAKITORI
250g minced chicken
1/2 cup panko
2tsp corn flour
1 tsp salt
dash of pepper
2 inches ginger, grated
4 tbsp shoyu
4 tbsp sake
4 tbsp mirin
3 tbsp sugar
- Mix all the ingredients, except ginger together.
- Oil your hands and roll the meat mixture into small balls.
- Boil a saucepan of water and squeeze the ginger juice from the grated ginger into the water.
- Cook chicken meatballs till they change colour and float to the surface. Set aside.
- Pour in yakitori sauce mixture, bring to a simmer, add in the meatballs.
- Turn and coat the meatballs till the sauce thickens and the meatballs are well coated in the sauce.