I was looking at the date of these Hello Kitty steam cake photos and realized I made them in May. I had wanted to update the recipe earlier but somehow kept dragging till now.
Hello Kitty steam cakes were made using Morinaga pancake mix. If you can't get hold of the pancake mix, you can click HERE to refer to my previous recipe instead.
I liked how these Hello Kitty steam cake turned out, another one I like from my creation is the piggy steam cake I shared earlier. Click HERE to check that out if you missed it.
HELLO KITTY STEAM CAKE
(makes 4-5 steam cakes)
150g Morinaga pancake mix
2 small eggs
45g plain yoghurt
20g unsalted butter, melted
1 tsp baking powder
1 + 1/2 tbsp plain flour
1 tbsp cocoa powder
a little Wilton pink icing paste
a little Wilton yellow icing paste
- Whisk egg and sugar in mixing bowl.
- Add in yoghurt and milk till well blended.
- Stir in melted butter.
- Sift in pancake mix and baking powder and fold till well blended. Set aside 1 tbsp of the mixture and fill it in a pipping bag, you will need it for step 10 later.
- Scoop 2 tbsp of batter from step 4, add 1 tbsp of dark cocoa powder,mix well. Spoon in pipping bag.
- Scoop 1 tbsp of batter from step 4, add in 1/2 tbsp of flour. Add on a little yellow colouring using toothpick. Mix well. Spoon in pipping bag. Scoop 2 tbsp of batter from step 4, add on some pink colouring using toothpick, mix well. Spoon in pipping bag, set aside for step 10 later.
- Fill cupcake cups with remaining mixture, fill till around 70% full. Tap cups lightly to remove air bubbles.
- Pipe on Hello Kitty details, brown for eyes and whiskers and yellow for nose.
- Steam cupcakes over preheated steamer on low heat for 12 minutes. When steaming, please cover pot lid with a cloth, to prevent water from dripping onto the cakes and spoiling the designs.
- Pipe out ears using white dough from step 4. Pipe out bow using pink dough from step 6. Pipe on a tray lined with baking paper, steam for around 3 minutes.
- Make a cut with a knife on the cake, so that you can slot in the ears.
- Attach on bow using pasta.