I chose an easy fruit pastry cake recipe for him.
The cake before baking.
My birthday cake after baking. :)
FRUIT PASTRY CAKE RECIPE
100g butter, soften at room temperature
180g caster sugar
50g sour cream
3 eggs, lightly beaten, room temperature
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
1 teaspoon lemon or orange zest
210g plain flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
- Wash, cut fruits and set aside.
- Grease (with butter) and flour the side of an 8" pan and line the base with parchment paper.
- With an electric mixer, cream butter, sugar and sour cream till light and fluffy.
- Dribble in the eggs gradually and beat till incorporated in the batter. (The mixture may appear slightly curdled.)
- Add vanilla extract and zest. Mix to combine.
- Sieve over flour and baking powder and mix till smooth.
- Pour batter into prepared pan and smooth out the top with a spatula.
- Arrange fruits on top, don’t press the fruits down into the batter. Decorate the fruits as desired.
- Bake in pre-heat oven at 180degC for 60-70 minutes or until a skewer comes out clean when inserted into the cake. Cover the top with foil in the last 15 mins of baking to prevent the top from getting over browned.
- Leave the cake to cool in the pan for about 5~10 mins. Unmold and transfer to wire rack to let cool completely. Dust the cake with some icing sugar if desired.
IT brought out his wallet when we went out on my birthday. He said he wanted to buy me a stalk of white tulip, my favourite flower. :)
Hubby brought him to 3 florists along the way but there were no tulips sold. So, I told him to just get me a white rose instead.
Thanks so much boys, for giving me the best birthday present and cake ever. :) Thanks for showing me boys can be just as sweet as gals. :)